Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reflection 1

Does the story have a theme? What is it? Is it implicit or explicit? Is it universal? Does it make you see things in a new or different way?

The story’s main theme is the struggle between religious faith and doubt. The theme is implicitly explored through the characters: each character represents one position or one aspect of one position in the religion debate. Alyosha represents religious faith and a loving, good, peaceful, productive existence. For example, near the beginning of the book Alyosha is described as thus: “He seemed throughout his life to put implicit trust in people: yet no one ever looked on him as a simpleton or naïve person. There was something about him which made on feel at once (and it was so all his life afterwards) that he did not care to be a judge of others- that he would never take it upon himself to criticise and would never condemn anyone for anything. He seemed, indeed, to accept everything without the least condemnation though often grieving bitterly: and this was so such that no one could surprise or frighten him even in his earliest youth. Coming at twenty to his father’s house, which was a very sink of filthy debaucher, he, chaste and pure as he was, simply withdrew in silence when to look on was unbearable, but without the slightest sign of contempt or condemnation. His father, who had once been in a dependent position, and so was sensitive and ready to take offence, met him at first with distrust and sullenness. “He does not say such,” he used to say, “and thinks the more.” But soon, within a fortnight indeed, he took to embracing him and kissing him terribly often, with drunken tears, with sottish sentimentality, yet he evidently felt a real and deep affection for him, such as he had never been capable of feeling for anyone before” (7). Ivan represents religious doubt and an isolated, tormented, unproductive existence. Their interactions with their world and their personal development throughout the story represent the conflict between the two opposing stances and ways of life. The theme is explored explicitly through conversations between characters about religion and the absence of religion. The chapters The Brothers Make Friends to The Grand Inquisitor (117-137) is an example of such a conversation between Ivan and Alyosha. Both sides are explored with depth and insight. For example, Ivan seems cold and indifferent at first blush. Yet, when he talks with Alyosha during The Brothers Make Friends (117-121), Ivan reveals that he rejects god because he cannot reconcile the idea of a loving god with the suffering of innocent children on earth. His confessions show that despite his doubt, he truly loves humanity.

It is a universal theme. Religion has been with humanity since the earliest days. Different religions have affected and continue to affect people from across the globe. Although this book deals specifically with Christianity in 19th century Russia, some of its points about faith and doubt can be projected to religion in general.

I’ve never been religious. I wasn’t raised to believe and practise a specific religion, as my parents grew up in Communist China. However, my parents are not atheists or agnostics; they are completely apathetic to religion. My own contact with religion has been very superficial: when I was in grade 5 or 6 I went to church a few times with my friend who was mildly religious (meaning she had been indoctrinated from birth and her faith was less a conscious choice and more of just an accepted and at that point still unquestioned part of her everyday life). I was remarkably unimpressed by my experience: I knew instinctively that the people and the stories that the preacher talked about were not plausible. I didn’t feel particularly uplifted by the hymns, nor did I feel that my life had been missing something until I heard of Jesus. I thought that it was a bit contrived that these people preached so sincerely to be good and forgiving and loving when what they preached was completely incongruous with the lives that we all lead outside the church. I thought it was bizarre that they prayed to someone. I tried hard to concentrate and hear a voice and feel god when the congregation prayed, but I felt nothing. Yet I didn’t feel that I was a bad person or that I didn’t try to be good without all the superfluous stories. I was unimpressed and unaffected by my experience at church. Later, in high school, I learned about religion and its role in inciting war, dividing and ostracizing people, and serving as a justification for imperialism and colonialism. I came to have a very negative understanding of religion, but knew it only as an important cause of such strife. Then, I read Dawkin’s God Delusion, through which I indirectly learned more about religion, although granted, his take on religion was extremely biased. At that point, I considered myself an atheist and anti-religious. However, since then, I’ve listened to and talked with devoted Christians and a Buddhist and a Muslim. These conversations have helped tone down my haughtiness towards religion and I’m in the process of reconsidering religion. I’m less concerned about whether God exists (I’ve come to the conclusion that it is impossible to satisfactorily prove his existence or his non-existence), and more interested in how people can believe in God (regardless of whether he exists or not) and how it affects them and how it affects society. The Brothers Karamazov has continued to help tone down my irreverent attitude towards religion. I still don’t believe in the existence of God, but the book has made me want to understand how people can believe in the existence of God. The book ultimately says that religious faith is the better choice, that religious faith will help us learn to refrain from judging others, to love unconditionally, to find peace of mind through abstaining from sensual pleasures, to truly connect with God and our fellow human beings (this is most explicit during Alyosha’s compilation of Zossima’s teachings in book VI The Russian Monk). I think these are beautiful lessons, and ones that I agree with and try to live by. Yet, I have a hard time convincing myself that religious belief is a necessary pre-requisite to live this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment